Campaign for Greater Buffalo executive director Tim Tielman and Henry Swiatek of Swiatek Studios, art restorers, for a special tour of the interior and exterior decorative extravaganza that is the peak of Arts & Crafts architecture, the 1920s churches of Oakley & Schallmo. An Abundance of Delight, the Arts & Crafts of Oakley & Schallmo is an exploration of mastery not to be missed.
Chester Oakley (1893-1968) and Albert Schallmo (1884-1928) worked together for just nine years before Schallmo’s premature death. The last years of the partnership produced four exquisite churches in the four corners of the city: St. John’s in Riverside, St. Casimir’s in Kaisertown, St. Luke’s on Sycamore St. on the East Side, and Blessed Trinity, serving the north-central part of the expanding city. Their work was the end of an era; no more large churches were built in Buffalo, and modernist architects sought to cast shade on decoration. This is a rare chance to see these marvels of brick and terra cotta in one day. Includes snacks and beverage to sustain you!
Reservations can be made by calling 716-854-3749, or by scrolling to the post below to reserve online through our tour calendar.